Update! Non-Emergency Medical Transportation (NEMT) Changing from One Call to MTM
Beginning May 1, 2022, WellCare of North Carolina will have a new non-emergency medical transportation (NEMT) vendor, Medical Transportation Management, Inc. (MTM).
This will not stop your ride services to your appointments. There is nothing for you to do. You can still set up your rides by calling 1-877-598-7602.
We know how much you depend on a ride service that you can trust. We want you to know that your services and benefits will not change.
What appointments are covered?
- Medical, dental & vision
- Behavioral health
- Prescription pick-up following Primary Care Provider (PCP) appointments
- Women Infants Children (WIC)
- Non-medical appointments such as educational classes and weight-control classes, including Weight Watchers
Not sure if your appointment qualifies? Call Member Services at 1-866-799-5318 (TTY: 711).
What does Non-Emergency Medical Transportation include?
Medicaid can help get you to and from appointments. This service is at no extra cost to you. You can also ask for an attendant to come with you to your appointment. We cover transportation for a child member’s attendant, parent, or guardian.
Non-emergency transportation includes:
- personal vehicles
- mini buses
- mountain area transports
- public transportation
The service takes you to the closest medical provider for your needs. This is only for Medicaid covered services. WellCare offers NEMT services as a value-added benefit to North Carolina Health Choice members.
How do I schedule an appointment?
You have many options to get the services you need. You can call MTM directly or call WellCare Member Services and follow the directions below:
- Call MTM at 1-877-598-7602 or WellCare Member Services at 1-866-799-5318
- Select option for Transportation
- Allow 2 business days before your appointment
- Have your personal information available.
You can also use the MTM portal or MTM mobile app to manage your rides.
- For the portal, please go to https://mtm.mtmlink.net. Simply log in to get started.
- The mobile app is available for Apple and Android. Simply search MTM Link Member. You may also download the app by accessing this page on your phone. Please click here to get to the app for Apple users, and click here to get to the app for Android users.
Only plan services are covered. Your level of need determines your transportation mode. Drivers will wait up to 5 minutes after arrival for pickup. If you no longer need transportation to an appointment, please call MTM at 1-877-598-7602 or WellCare Member Services at 1-866-799-5318. Select option for Transportation.
Does MTM offer additional services?
MTM is also available outside of normal business hours. This is only for urgent non-emergency transportation needs. If your need is urgent, select “Urgent Trip Request” when you call.
We may also cover travel costs. This includes:
How do I receive reimbursement?
To receive reimbursement, call MTM. Call in advance of your appointment to schedule the trip. You will be provided instructions on how to complete the reimbursement form. You will need to submit the required documentation for reimbursement.
Those that need a wheelchair or some other accommodation will need a Level of Need form (PDF). This form must be completed by your primary care physician or treating provider. MTM will need this form when you make your appointment. In addition, certain transportation services require prior authorization by WellCare, including:
- trips over 75 miles one-way
- out-of-state trips (40+ miles over border)
- air ambulance
- trips requiring hotel, flight, and/or meals
You must first call MTM, they will then inform WellCare. WellCare will contact your primary care physician or treating provider. This is required to complete the steps for prior authorization. The transportation broker will follow up with you to finish scheduling the appointment.
We may deny you this service. If denied service, you may appeal. To appeal:
- Call 1-866-799-5318
- Select option for Member assistance on appeals
Please see the NEMT Fact Sheet (PDF) to learn more about this service.
We review the conduct policy with members before booking NEMT. This policy is on the WellCare website. If a member harms the driver, we will address it with the member’s care manager and primary care physician. MTM drivers are trained to de-escalate.
Members will receive a written notice about poor behavior. We can suspend NEMT service for this behavior.
If a Medicaid-covered service is scheduled before suspension, will reimburse the miles.
- Know the availability of Medicaid NEMT services
- Have the NEMT policy explained
- Arrive on time for appointments
- Members under 18 years old can ride with an attendant at no additional cost
- Request an appeal if NEMT assistance is denied
- Use available NEMT services appropriately
- Use transportation services appropriately
- Travel to the requested pickup spot and receive a Medicaid-covered service
- Make timely requests for NEMT service
- Be ready at the pickup spot
- Follow driver instructions