WellCare of North Carolina is committed to working with providers to improve members' health and well-being. The following information will help your patients get the most out of their pharmacy benefits.
Coverage Determination Request
The coverage determination process enables providers to request an addition or exception.
- Electronic Prior Authorization (ePA): Cover My Meds
- Online: Request Prescription Drug Coverage
- Fax or Mail: Complete a request for prescription drug coverage (PDF)
Providers may appeal a coverage determination decision by contacting our Pharmacy Appeals department via fax, mail, in person or phone. Please refer to the Quick Reference Guide for instructions.
- Online: Request Appeal for Drug Coverage
- Fax or Mail: Complete an appeal of coverage determination request (PDF)
Preferred Drug List (PDL)
The Preferred Drug List contains information about drugs covered by the plan. Please check back for updates, as PDLs are periodically amended.
The NC Medicaid Preferred Drug List (PDL) allows NC Medicaid to obtain better prices for covered outpatient drugs through supplemental rebates. The PDL was authorized by the NC General Assembly Session Law 2009-451, Sections 10.66(a)-(d).
- Prescribers are encouraged to write prescriptions for “preferred” products.
- Prescribers may continue to write prescriptions for drugs not on the PDL.
- If a prescriber deems that the patient’s clinical status necessitates therapy with a non-preferred drug, the prescriber will be responsible for initiating a prior authorization request.
- Prior authorization requirements may be added to additional drugs in the future.
- Submit Proposed Clinical Policy Changes to the PDL
- Preferred Drug List Review Panel
Printed Preferred Drug Lists
Outpatient Pharmacy Services
AcariaHealth Specialty Pharmacy Information
The WellCare Specialty Pharmacy offers expert service in the special handling, storage and administration of medications for members who have long-term, life-threatening or rare conditions. With its knowledge of the insurance process and plan benefits, the team can speedily help the patient receive his or her medication. For a detailed list of conditions covered, please visit our AcariaHealth Specialty Pharmacy page.